With fall coming fast, I am so ready for some yummy comfort foods like this simple pasta dish! This is one of my favorite easy recipes that is delicious, quick, only uses a few ingredients, and lets me sneak in some extra veggies for my family. I can even get that cute toddler and hubby of mine to eat their veggies!
Speaking of veggies… these bad boys are delish. Simmering a little garlic in the pan and then tossing in some fresh mushrooms, chopped zucchini, and mounds of yummy tomatoes. Don’t even talk about how incredible that oregano smells while it’s all cooking. Ah-mazing.
This makes a lot so I like to split it into 2 smaller casserole dishes (my original directions call for a 9×13 dish) and eat the rest for leftovers throughout the week. This reheats perfectly and I look forward to lunch each day! Dividing the recipe up into 2 smaller dishes also makes it easy to freeze one for later. Making one for now and freezing one for later? Brilliant.
Speaking of freezers. 😉 We’re refrigerator-hunting this week for the new house (August 31st closing date! Eeeep!!) and it’s not as easy as I thought it would be. So. Many. Options. Plus, my littles run around the store like wild cavemen. Appliance salesmen love us.
Is it totally weird that one of my biggest excitements of moving into the new house is a clean slate with groceries?? I’m going to walk in that first day with a completely bare refrigerator and completely bare pantry shelves. No duplicates of things and no disorder that needs to be organized. Just a fresh start. I’m weird.
This pasta, though? Awesome.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- fresh basil, sliced into thin ribbons
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and cook over medium heat, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, and oregano and simmer until tomatoes have thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta al dente and drain. Toss pasta with sauce.
- Place half of pasta in 9x13 dish and top with veggies and half of mozzarella.
- Repeat with remaining pasta and then remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.